Wednesday, December 22, 2010

During the past couple weeks in Pittsburgh I have noticed a few things

that have seemed pretty interesting.

The other day I took the Taco to give it a bath and get all of the salt off of it. I noticed that it was an extra buck higher than the last time and I commented to the attendent that although the price of the car wash went up, I'd bet him his paycheck didn't get any bigger.

It hadn't, and he shared a few things with me that I found interesting. For starters this guy looked like a straight, status quo solid Joe Citizen type and not some kind of hothead. He looked like the kind of guy you do not want to have on your jury because he would automatically assume the police just HAD to have caught the right guy.

Anyway, i was sort of stunned to hear this guy say that he was afraid that the only way to put the government back into the hands of the people was through force of arms.

Guys like him don't say things like that as a general rule. It told me that he had lost faith in our leadership in Washington DC.

The other thing I have seen popping up are Gadsden flags, the ones that say 'Don't tread on me'.

While there are not Gadsden flags popping up like wildflowers in the spring, I'll say that the number of them is increasing and so are comments like the ones I have heard from the car wash guy.

It's getting pretty clear to me that people are upset and they are getting sick and tired of the crap being handed down by Washington DC.

Now, you have to understand that Pittsbughers are a little different. They have a history of being Iron City and at one time they were the steel making capital of the world. The place is full of that working class attitude of work hard, play hard and besides having a football problem, deer hunting is a passion to many locals.

These people have solid, basic All-American workin class values yet they have a history of voting straight Democratic tickets come election day.

Why?

Because the steel industry was heavily unionized and the union bosses encouraged the rank and file to vote that way because the Democrats were union friendly. The guys were voting for their jobs.

Now, one can say that the unions made the steel industry a good place to work, but eventually union greed killed the goose that laid the golden egg and the jobs went overseas, but still these people continued, probably out of habit, to vote Democratic for no apparent reason other than habit.

Now, these same working people have started loooking around and do not like what they see. Some of theem are getting annoyed enough to start flying a Gadsden flag beneath Old Glory and I'm not surprised at all.

I think that a lot of former Democratic voters are going to change sides pretty soon and it is going to be interesting to watch what happens here over the next few election cycles.

Of course, there are a lot of people here that have no faith in either party. What these people are going to do is beyond me.

For what it is worth, I am going to keep my eyes open.

It is going to be interesting.

my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment