Sunday, January 30, 2011

A pretty good convoluted arguement t make a few bucks

One of the things I 0nce suggested to my boss was that we charter a rig from Alaska to Russia and do a little international work.

"Why is that?" he asked.

"Because it crosses the International Date Line," I replied.

"So?" he asked.

"Just think of it. We charter the units and pay our people by the day. We could do very well."

"How's that?"

"Simple. When you cross the International Date line, say on a Wednesday, it becomes Tuesday again then you get another Wednesday. That's two Tuesdays and two Wednesdays on the same week for nine billable days in one week."

"Yeah, but doesn't that even out when you cross it in the other direction?" he countered.

"Nope," I said with a grin. "When you're coming the other way and hit it on a Tuesday it then becomes Wednesday and you can get a billable week in just six days!"

"Wait a minute," he said, and I could see that he had pretty much figured out my reasoning, but was doing a quick mental re-check of the mechanics of my proposal.

"Run it by marketing," I said. "I'm headed over to payroll." and with that I wandered off leaving him something to think about.

I looked in a nearby window and saw his reflection smiling and shaking his head.


my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment