Monday, July 28, 2014

Yesterday's post drew an interesting comment.



Seems someone decided to change careers at the age of 37.

My guess is that he didn't like what he was doing beforehand and wanted to make more money so he did what he had to do to improve his lot.

He can take the mask off because he isn't the Lone Ranger.

I was 38 years old when I decided to change careers and it didn't take too long for me to get ahead.

I took an entry level job back in January of 1990 for peanuts and by November of that year my position had changed and my pay had more than doubled.

It didn't take a whole lot, either. All I had to do was put down the beer mug for a bit and pick up a book and study.

I admit I had to be somewhat assertive and sell myself but it didn't take a whole lot looking back on it. It was sure worth it, though.

Truth is that I did my homework and boned up before I even thought of applying for a company training program. I went in and was promptly told I didn't have enough seniority.

I asked to take the test anyway, "as practice for when I do have seniority". I maxed it. 100%.

Three weeks later when I reported back to work I was told to report to the training people. They were a little red faced when they told me I had best plan on entering the training program. Seniority was waived. I was told that they would look a little foolish if they didn't let the only person that had maxed the test into the program.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

1 comment:

  1. I changed careers at 35. It cost me about 25,000 a year at first but now I am making twice what I made at the old job. Sometimes a calculated risk is worth the reward. It was a tough road for a while but now being debt free sure is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete