Every now and then a friend asks me when I am going to make something out of the school cafeteria or an army mess hall.
I can whip up a Salisbury steak, chili mac, SOS, biscuits and gravy and a few other meals that I often call slop meals.
SOS is a breakfast favorite served on a 20 degree day in GI mess kits, accompanied by a canteen cup full of black coffee standing in the driveway.
The other meals I serve under more civilized circumstances.
Most of the people I serve slap up meals like that are vets that acquired a taste for some of these recipes in the service.
It's kind of funny how a meal we complained about 50 years ago tastes pretty good as we get older.
The problem is that you can't eat stuff like this too often or you'll blow up like a balloon. These recipes were created for young men that were very active.
As I write this I just got a hankering for SOS. That's not a summer breakfast recipe so I'm going to have to wait a few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment