became Ex PFC Johns when he got promoted to Sp/4. At the time a lot of us in the battery were going through a Catch-22 stage. Most of us had read it and that's where we got the nickname for Johns when he got promoted from PFC to Sp/4.
But I don't remember Johns for being an Ex PFC. I remember him because of what his mother did.
His mother had been a WAC during WW2 and was more than familiar with the saying 'Your mother is not here to pick up after you.'
Anyway she appeared out of nowhere, walked into the barracks found the orderly room and knocked. She was given entry and went to the First Sergeant's desk and announced "I'm Private John's mother and I'm here to pick up after my son."
Top was speechless according to the clerk.
Later I asked Top about the incident and he smiled and said she was a real firecracker and it was the funniest thing that ever happened in his entire 25 year career.
No comments:
Post a Comment