Tuesday, August 25, 2026

One day at work.



Toward the end of my career I had a small crew of Tongan immigrants as outside contractors aboard. I had no real responsibility for them other than to make sure they showed up for work and didn't show up drunk. I also had to answer any questions about what was where.

They were a good crew and I marveled at their skills in the area of Mastodon Engineering which is the ability of moving very heavy things. That's an amazing skill that can not be taught in a college classroom.

The boat went through rags at a pretty good rate and the company bought them in 25 pound boxes IIRC. The boxes were fairly large.

The guys were good.. They knew how to clean up a mess before it was made instead of after it was made. That's another skill I admired.

One time one of the Tongans reached into the rag bag and grabbed a pair of woman's panties that most likely had been tossed in there by the guy at the rag place. Most rags were things like cut up sweatshirts and things that would wick up liquids pretty good. Nylon and acetate are the worst things in the world for wicking up liquids so I figure the guy at the rag place tossed them in to give someone a laugh.

I saw him fish it out and laugh and glanced to the left and there was my supervisor. Target of opportunity!

When he showed it to the other two guys that laughed I snatched it out of his hand, sniffed and and announced "Hey! I know her! That's Sue Wallingsworth! I wonder what she's doing these days."

I was treated to laughter on the part of the Tongans and it was a joy to watch my supervisor blushed turn red and shake his head.

I admit I do miss working with guys like those Tongans.


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment