Monday, October 19, 2009

Art imitates life or vice versa?

Many of those in the art world explain to us of the ignorant masses that Art imitates life, when sometimes it reallly doesn't.

Several years ago someone was making a movie up in Maine, and the actors were supposed to go to sea as fishermen or something. A local was hired to make sure everything looked OK.

He pointed out that all the actors were wearing NEW rain gear.

What to do?

The entire cast was told to head down to a certain ginmill and find a local fisherman and trade raingear with them. They did, and the fishing fleet had a pretty good night of having Hollywood hotshots buy them a few drinks, to boot.

The next day, the movie stars went to work looking like fishermen,, and the fishermen
went to work looking like movie stars.

Now, THAT is life imitating art.

More later.




Things got funny. There's this cop I've been looking at making laugh. He's a pretty good guy.

Today I did.

There's been an unopened beer in the Miata's glovebox for some time, and I have had a card in my wallet for him for some time.

As I was passing the 7-11, it all came together. He was walking out and the space next to the cruiser was vacant. I drove in.

"Got something for you that every cop should have for that special, satisfying bust," I said. My grin tipped my hand.

""What's that?"

"It's gonna cost you," I said, opening the glovebox. I snagged the beer. "Hold my beer while I get my wallet out," I said and handed him the beer.

The look on his face was precious. Quickly I got my wallet out and handed him a card from a Monopoly game, the one that says: "Go to jail, go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200."

We laughed ourselves silly, he handed me my beer back and as I was leaving he asked me about the 'Get out of Jail Free' card.

"You nuts?" I laughed. 'I'm keeping it for the day you stop me!" I shot back.

We laughed again.

Doesn't take much to make someone's day, and doing that sure made mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment