Wednesday, July 3, 2019

I have a reunion coming up, a fiftieth.

Time flies and it has been a good fifty years since I graduated from high school.

I went to one a couple of years ago and came away thinking that I was not wrong taking the road less traveled.  When I was about 25 and living in a tipi in the Rockies I came home and most of the classmates I met told me I had best shape up or I'd be out in left field.

I didn't and I am not out in left field and I daresay I played a pretty good game of catch-up as my house was paid off before a lot of my classmates houses were if that is any indicator of things.

I've done rather well in ways. I have had two car loans, and a mortgage. The car loans were paid off in about a year and the house was paid off in under ten. I don't like debt.

What is a lot more important to me is that I have made a pretty good life for myself. I was and still am an adventurer by nature and never have seemed to fit in with the 9-5 crowd. Working on the water has agreed with me as a career.

I once told a classmate that I have done just about everything interesting but join the French Foreign Legion, whom I owe for saving my life. There's a certain solid grain of truth there. It has at least been interesting.

I've served in the Army, lived in a tipi, hitch-hiked to Alaska, commercially fished, hunted, and for a later on in life career I ran away to sea. It sure hasn't all been fun but it has been interesting.

Had I wound up a Dilbert in a cubicle I would be long gone by now, probably by my own hand. Either that or still put away in the booby hatch.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment