Monday, December 24, 2018

One of the thiings I hate the most is waiting.

I remember several nights before the events well to this day.

I was keyed up the night before I left for basic training but my wife understood and kept me occupied which was made it easy. I slept well that night.

A few years later we were split up and I was headed to Alaska. The night before I left my mind was running a mile a minute. It finally got so bad I knocked back a half-pint of scotch in a single untasting gulp and went into a somewhat fitful sleep. 

I woke up with my stomach in a knot, worried about the future. I breakfasted, eating what I could with a knotted stomach, rolled up my sleeping bag, tied it to my pack, hefted it and left.

I walked down to Colorado Ave, stuck out my thumb and after a few minutes someone stopped, picked me up and took me to I-25. 

The instant I got into the car I felt fine. I wasn't waiting anymore. I was actually doing something.

It's a shame really because one needs a good night's sleep before they start out on an adventure. I did get a good night's sleep the first night out. I will give no details save to say an interesting woman picked me up north of Denver.

As I aged I got over this to some extent but it hasn't gone away completely. I still hate waiting.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment