Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I have written that every Alaskan bar had a cribbage board in it

 and I remember the time a woman was waiting for someone to show up. Bars were and likely still are popular meeting places on the Last Frontier.

Anyway, she saw me sitting there and asked me if I played cribbage and inside a couple of seconds cards were shuffled we were playing cribbage. She introduced herself as Jinka which much later I found out was a childhood nickname she preferred to be called.

It was nothing more than a couple of people whiling away a little time while they were waiting for something. I was waiting for my friend, Doc to show up and she was waiting for someone she was hiring to do some electrical work for her to show up.

She seemed to be an attractive, intelligent, decent woman that was quick to laugh and seemed to have a pretty good droll sense of humor.

Anyway, we were sitting there playing cribbage when her ex husband walked in. I knew him somewhat. His name was Mike. I did not know Jinka was his ex-wife. He was a halfway  decent guy sober but when he got toasted he was a loudmouth and often a jerk.

Neither of us noticed that he had walked in and I suppose neither of us cared as we were busy counting cards.

Then he went to the bar and said something to the bartender.

Jinka heard it and softly groaned. 

A second later he spotted the pair of us from across the bar and looked at me.

"How do you like that worn out old thing between my ex-old lady's legs?" he shouted over to me. It was a truly vile thing to say.

"Wouldn't know," I replied, dryly. "Haven't had the honor, but if I had to venture a guess I wouldn't have a very hard time getting through the used part." Then I returned to my cards, ignoring him.

It took a second or two to punch through his alcohol induced fog and I'm sure it was aided by the laughter of the entire bar which had several patrons in it at the time. Several of them later told me they had never seen Mike speechless before.

His jaw hit the floor, he turned purple. He headed toward me.

"Everyone here now just thinks you're stupid. Now you are coming over here to prove them right," I said.

I got up and faced him. He was coming around the bar and when he saw me he decided that all he could do was make things worse for himself. I guessed he knew he had already made a damned fool of himself and was just making it worse.

Instead of turning right toward me, he turned left and walked out the main door.

I returned and continued the card game and saw the look of absolute gratitude on Jinka's face. We continued the game and when we were dealing up the next game she told me that I was invited to dinner at her place the following evening. I accepted.

She told me I was one cool hand. The game was fortunately  interrupted by her electrician showing up and they left. That's when the shakes started. It took a couple shots to settle down. That guy could have easily taken me.

After dinner the following evening I found out that one of my guesses the previous day at the bar had been spot on.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment