Thursday, December 23, 2010

Today we celebrated Festivus (the holiday for the rest of us)

I am at sea and I am an old salt. I think this id Christmas 15 or so out of the past 20.

I get terrible angry and depressed this time of year if I am on the beach and although I know it makes it hard for the family to deal with, things are really a whole lot better this way. They just have to trust me on this one. It is one of the very few times I am afraid of mixing anger and alcohol.

Anyway, a couple of the younger guys, especially the ones with kids were getting a case of the "I'm at sea over the holidays blues' when some circusclown on an internet forum brought up that today is Festivus.

For any of you that don't know what Festivus is, Google it and go to Wikipedia for an excellent explaination. It came off of the Seinfeld show a couple of years ago and the show was a real riot.

Anyway, I found a piece of aluminum pipe and set it up and started wishing everyone a happy Festivus.

There were smiles and laughter from some and eye-rolling and head shaking from others, but even after a while the eye-rollers came out of their shell and showed at least a little interest. After a while the airing of the grievences part came out with a minoor laugh fest, of which I was the butt of a couple dopey little things.

The feats of strength were a couple of arm wrestling matches and I arm wrestled the biggest guy on the boat and lost, ending the celebration.

Outhere even stupid things are meaningful.

Oh, yeah. We sent out a couple emails to some of the shoreside guys wishing them a Happy Festivus.

Next year I am going to get a yamulke embroidered with 'Happy Festivus' to wear.

The good Lord won'tmind.





my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment