Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I just found out about someone from my high school days and he deserves a post.



I must have been a freshman or a sophomore and class was out. I wasn't going home, I think I was headed downtown for some reason or another. I had no car, nor for that matter, a driver's license.

Chances for a freshman getting a ride from a senior were not all that good but then again it often happened.

There was this big, rugged guy I knew by name and face. He had kind of a DA and jellyroll haircut which meant something at the time, I suppose. Almost everyone else had Beatle hair or was growing hippie hair. I had a short haircut that today would be Navy regulation, or maybe a touch longer.

Anyway, the big guy had a big mischievious grin. I'd seen the grin on his face between classes and figured he was OK. He wasn't a threat.

The guy was standing next to a car and I wasn't sure if it was his or not. I asked him for a ride downtown if there was any room. I figured he'd be full.

It wasn't his car and he simply said "Stick around." to me. A couple of seconds the owner of the car showed up and hopped in. Someone else hopped in the shotgun seat and Joe said something to the driver, hooked his thumb, grinned and told me to hop in.

He was sitting in the back seat behind the driver and I was behind the passenger. He grinned at me and leaned over the back of the seat to give directions even though the driver knew where he was going.

We left the lot and started up Furnace Street to where we had to turn left to get onto the highway leading downtown. There was an island that had to be gone around and the sign on the island guiding drivers around it said "Keep Right".

Joe, giving directions, said to the driver, "See that 'Keep right' sign?"

"Yeah," replied the driver.

"Turn left," ordered Joe. With that he turned to me and we both laughed ourselves silly at the incongruity of it all.

I remember the laughter in his eyes.

I was a humble lowerclassman but he hadn't dropped to my level. He had brought me up to his. He was a really neat guy.

after that until he graduated he and I always said 'Hi' and occasionally shared a funny comment.

This is really a very insignificant incident but I remember it well and for the past forty seven years I have thought about it often.

I just found out he lives in Florida now and I am going to send him a link to this post because he ought to know that one small act of kindness has stayed with me for forty-seven years.

Thank you, Joe.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment