Tuesday, August 7, 2018

I bet his galls the hell out of teachers.

Earlier I posted this somewhere else




Earlier today I was talking about teachers and the as usual I pointed out that some of the BEST teachers I ever had all had the same first name It was 'Sergeant'.

Most had never set foot in a college classroom, some had not finished high school and one of the best teachers I ever had was a sharecropper's son that barely finished grammar school.
What brought the subject up was someone told me their kid had a teacher with a lisp of some sort.

One of my NCO teachers had a terrific classic stammer but nobody DARED tease him about it. If you did he would take his stripes off and challenge you to go outside and meet him with no rank showing. Rumor was he had knocked a smartass unconscious with a single punch while earlier. I believe he did.

The true test of a teacher is NOT if he can get you to pass a test and forget about it a week later. The true test is when a person can remember what he taught fifty years later.

Last year one of the younger guys in the neighborhood wanted to learn how to use a compass. I went with him through the basic parts.

For the life off me I had forgotten the memory aid until I recalled Sergeant Clark teach the memory aid.

T-t-t-true
V-v-v-virgins
M-m-m-make
D-d-d-d-dull
Companions.

That one stuck! I do remember he never had a problem with the bigger words.

True
Variation
Magnetic
Deviation
Compass.

It's about converting a compass reading to true or magnetic reading.

Say what you want, but I learned from the BEST.

They could be loud at times, they could be profane at times, they could have a cooling touch to someone that was injured. They would gladly risk their lives and careers for a student if they thought he was worth it and most were.

That being said, I damned well want to know why a guy without even a high school diploma and a bad stutter can take a class of youngsters and turn them into pretty good soldiers in 13 weeks AND how someone with the same educational background can turn those new soldiers into entry level craftsmen able to do their jobs under fire yet the American educational system has 12 years to teach kids to read and graduates kids that can't.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment