Sunday, September 29, 2019

posts for the 27,28 and 29 Oct.

Being out of internet range means being out of cellular phone range and means there is little communication with the rest of the world because I don’t have a ham radio with me.

It’s an interesting feeling because while I have no email, Facebook, Arfcom etc I also don’t have to deal with all of that. It’s actually a pretty good break.

We get all hung up and addicted to things like the web and it is good to get away from it and remember that the world really doesn’t revolve around cell phones, the internet and such.

I really ought to do this more often.


One of the interesting things that I have seen as far as things go is the ability to get television practically anywhere.

I have been thirty miles out to sea and had great TV reception via the so-called Dish. Of course, most people know it’s simply sattelite television and it’s been around for years.

Still, back in my day one had to live close to the TV transmitters to get television. Broadcast TV was the only way to get television. There was no cable or sattelite television at the time. One only managed to get a very few channels back in the day. As a youngster we only had ABC,CBS,NBC and PBS, four channels and only four channels. This was in the Boston area.

What makes me chuckle is that history often repeats itself.
I live in the suburbs outside a large city and I have recently cut the cable and get at least a couple of dozen broadcast channels for free. In addition to that I get several free channels from the home WiFi simply because the TV manufacturer has some kind of an internet deal that give me well over a dozen free streamed channels.

Admittedly the cable supplied a somewhat better variety of channels than I get for free but I really don’t miss cable very much.

Still, I do have access to the Dish when I am at sea and that somewhat astounds me because I can get television at least forty or fifty miles offshore. I haven’t been out past that recently so I don’t know how far it goes out. It may very well be worldwide for all I know.

Still, cable or even sattelite TV doesn’t work when the infrastructure goes down. A power outage means that one might be able to run a television with a generator but if the infrastructure is down the cable likely goes down with it and a major blow will likely damage a dish.  

It’s still ham radio that gets through when the infrastructure goes down.



It’s a wonderful day in the neighborhood.

I have a busy day of doing nothing ahead of me and I am wondering what is going to happen next. We all have those days when we think we have nothing to do and find out that by the end of the day we have spent it running full bore flat out. It happens to me more often than not.

This day looks a lot like one like that is going to happen.


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment