Monday, September 16, 2019

Sometimes it's good to return to where you started.

Recently I took a few day fill-in tour as an entry level deckhand and I do believe it was a pretty good thing to do. 

The last time I worked at this job was almost 30 years ago and it hasn't changed much, really. It's basic seamanship and basic boat life. 

I like my regular job a lot more for reasons I won't get into here but it is usually a pretty good thing to go back to where you started out and look around a bit.

While I don't 'beat up' tug crews very much, a few days back at Square One will probably make me a little slower to get aggravated with tug crews.

One thing is I was assigned the upper bunk and had to get back in practice at squirming into a claustrophobic sleeping space I can't even come close to sitting up in. 

Sometimes I think that CEOs and CFOs ought to take a few days a year out of the office and work back in the line or the floor or whatever and remember where they come from. I bet it would make life for the workers a lot better because it would foster understanding.

Hmmm...Now that I mention this, I remember one of the guys I worked with years ago was in the Navy and assigned to a carrier. He said that every once in a while the skipper would wander into one of the galleys and wash pots and pans for a while as a way to just unwind a bit.

I'll bet that skipper was probably a pretty compassionate guy when you think about it.

Anyway it's good to retrace one's steps once in a while.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

1 comment:

  1. Managing by walking around has always been a highly recommended way for bosses to really understand what is really going on.

    ReplyDelete