Wednesday, March 13, 2024

I am now exchanging emails with a Croatian ham QSL manager that was in Samoa when I worked him.

Needless to say, I sent for a QSL card and after 2 months it didn't arrive so I emailed him and he promptly sent me another which arrived about 27 days after he mailed it.

Google says it should have arrived in a week or 10 days but my rule of thumb is to take the 10 days and multiply by 3 and start looking for it about then. 

I have never figured out how New Guinea managed to get me back a card in about 2 weeks but I digress.

Anyway, the QSL manager and I are swapping emails. He says that he's had a few returned to him and all of them were mailed to the States. What's more, is that every single one had an American 'Return to sender' sticker on them. This tells me that the Croatian post office is doing their job. The envelopes obviously got to the States.

Lately I've had problems getting mail from Europe and one Italian QSL manager has tried twice to no avail to get me a card from Iran. 

The process is the Iranian sends his log (almost always electronically) to the Italian who fills out the cards and mails them. The Iranian does this likely because his post office isn't very good coupled with the fact that mailing a letter from Iran costs about $11 US. It cuts costs and in some instances is the only way to QSL.

Any number of Cubans go this route, generally through Spanish QSL managers. I haven't used a Spanish QSL manager in a while but they were excellent in my book.

The problem lies with the USPS.

WTF?! 

The USPS is (supposedly) the gold standard for the planet for getting things to people efficiently. 

Yeah, right.

A Google search says it's number 6.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment