Friday, March 1, 2024

My sweetie grew up and is now 16.

which is what three year old children do as they grow up.

She became my sweetie when she was three and her dad was putting up Christmas lights. She was a very shy three year old. 

Most of the lights were up and running and I offered to walk her across the street to look at them. Decision time for her. She looked at me shyly, looked at the lights, looked at me again , looked at the lights and grabbed my finger and we walked across the street.

Her face lit up brighter than the lights on the trees and I melted.

She's sixteen now and we've sort of stayed in touch. She's kind of special to me.

She has two other siblings, an older brother and an older sister and both of them are in college now. He's taking Aerospace engineering and as of now, as a junior, he's got a 4.0. He's also one of the most responsible people I have ever met in my life. I hired him to take care of things when I was at sea and he handled everything, including a sick cat like a professional. He started when he was 10 or 11.

He's grown into a friend for life. Not too many old guys have someone college age that drops in on him when he gets home.

The middle kid, her older sister I don't know very well but she seems OK and I see her as somewhat of a social type person that looks like she'll follow the usual path.

The youngest, my sweetie, seems to currently be the most interesting. She has attracted my curiosity. I want to see what path she takes.

Interesting means interesting. It doesn't mean biggest, strongest sexiest, smartest, or anything along these lines. It simply means something has attracted my curiosity. I want to see where this kid winds up.

She doesn't know which path she is going to take and at this stage may very well take the road less traveled. It interests me because as of now she very well do things differently. Truth is she certainly doesn't strike me as the corporate/office type. She's a bit more outdoorsy from what I see. 

She's powerfully built and one hell of a water polo player. Someone that's seen her in action as a goalie said that she simply drowns her opposition. Truth is I can easily picture her as a Coastie rescue swimmer. 

I can also see her following her grandfather and becoming a veteranarian. She's bright enough. I'm interested to see where she winds up. 

She's her family candidate for the road less traveled and very well may take that road. Actually I of hope she does find something interesting to do as a career. 

I certainly did and in my old age I'm damned glad I did go that route  but that's just me.

Actually what's kind of sad about it is that at 72 I probably won't be around to see the end of this movie. 

********************************
.

To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

1 comment:

  1. There is some magic attached to little girls.
    As a confirmed grumpy old man ,
    I am known for my lack of affection.
    Until my 3 year old grand daughter saw me come through the door , called out loudly Grand paw and rushed over to give me the biggest hug ever..I went all gooey inside and have been that way with her ever since.

    ReplyDelete