Wednesday, March 6, 2024

I sighted in my match rifle a couple of days ago.

I did a rather quickie job of it and sighted it in using the 50/200 yard zero trick.

That's when you sight it in at 50 yards because the zero for 50 yards is pretty much dead on at 200 yards. This means it will be somewhere between and inch or two at 100 yards.

As for what it will do at 200 yards it will be reportedly dead on and if it isn't it will be damned close.

What I did is use the old "If you're not on the paper it's because the paper was too small" trick and took a piece of cardboard about 30" square and put 3 each 1/2 inch orange dots on it. One was near the very top, one in the middle and one in the bottom.

I aimed at the center dot and fired only to find it wasn't on the paper so my second shot I held on the top dot and sure enough, the rifle was shooting low and to the right. I used the Mildot stadia lines and calculated the number of clicks I needed to bring it on and fired again.

I was halfway there because I had forgotten I was shooting at 50 yards and not 100 yards. I doubled the clicks and was pretty damned close. Then I fine tuned it and BINGO! 

I did a click or so of fine tuning and then ran a fairly quick 5 shot string and was pleased. 

Now at least when I shoot it at a 200 yard match I can very easily fine tune it with just a spotter or two.

Incidentally the clicks on this scope are somewhat coarse, They're .2 mil clicks and if somethhing strange happens (like I am having an exceptional day) I might have to use a small holdover to keep them in the X-ring which is fine by me.

With mils .1 mil= 1 cm at 100 meters which is .39 inches. At 200 meters it would be .79 inches.  Double these values for .2 mils.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment