Saturday, March 16, 2024

Thin mints time.

which I bought my annual 2 boxes of from the Girl Scouts hanging out at the local stupor market.

Lately I've been grubbing up at Wallyworld which seems to be OK for basics. Sometimes they have some pretty good meat, too.

One thing they do have in the beef department is Carne Pacada or whatever it's called. It's basically beef chopped up not as fine as burger and not as coarse as stew beef. It makes pretty good chili which some people ruin by using top shelf beef.

Today is a day of things I almost did today. I almost won the lottery but picked the wrong number (again). I almost cleaned up the place and I almost worked a DXpedition on Tarawa. Yes that Tarawa.

This DXpedition is being run by Germans which means if they send cards from Germany I will likely have no problem getting them IF they clear the USPS. Germany's postal system is pretty good.

The DXpedition was a little too weak to work but I have a few more days. We'll see what happens.

Grub shopping today was pretty good as far as getting out and doing something interesting. I have to admit that I can get practically everything one stop shopping at Wallyworld because on top of chow I got cat food, canned and kibble, razors and place mats.

Shaving these days kind of sucks because of the 'brand new' bathtub. I generally shave in the shower and had to stop using my beloved WW2 Gillette double edge and now use Bic throwaways in case I drop them. I don't want to put a ding in the porcelain tub and the Gillette will do that.

As for cleaning the place up, it doesn't need a major swamping out so much as it could use a detailing. Maybe I'll put that off a few weeks and do an Old School spring cleaning.

====================================

Good news. Kitty is back to normal now. 

He started overgrooming and licked a spot bare AND stopped eating his wet food. He did continue eating his kibble, though. Off to the vets who looked him over and gave him a shot and almost instantly he stopped grooming and a day later started back on his wet food again. 

He's also gone back to being a royal pain in the ass which is what an orange cat is supposed to do so all is good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Happy St Patrick's Day.

I always hated that boiled corned beef and cabbage. I always than God for Pete, the Jewish fish buyer in Seattle. He was a character.

We were in Seattle over St. Patrick's Day and he came by the boat the day before and offered to give us corned beef and cabbage at his office. Needless to say, we were saying WTF? Pete's a Jew! This I gotta see!

When we got there around noon Pete handed us a Guinness and a box lunch consisting of a really filling, thick corned beef on rye and a large portion of Cole slaw. 

"Now you Irish bums can tell your mothers you got your corned beef and cabbage," he announced, triumphantly.

We laughed like hell. Pete was a character and always generous and good for a laugh. However, what he didn't know is that I hated the traditional corned beef and cabbage. After that I generally celebrated the holiday with a corned beef on rye and a side of slaw.

I'm doing that to someone later on today. I'm having someone over after he gets off from work and treating him to the same meal I got from Pete.

I'm sure he won't be surprised or disappointed. He expects an occasional surprise from me.

Once I said to my sister who is married to a Jew that the only difference between an Irishman and a Jew is the Irish make better whiskey and beer but the Jews do a better job on corned beef.

There was a brief silence before she answered "You're right!" 






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment