Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Catholic education for non-Catholics

 is something I hear about from time to time. Might be worth looking into.

Actually it makes sense when you think about it. Before you reject it out of hand and scoff you ought to give it some thought. It's just one more thing to look into.

Catholic schools from what I have heard are pretty tolorant to those that are non-Catholic. In general it's a pretty good education.

A while back I was talking to an immigrant from India that was sending his two children to a local Catholic school. I believe he was Hindu, but I know his family was not Catholic.

I asked him why he would do this and he explained to me that he thought his kids would get a better education there than they would in the local public schools.

I asked him about the differences in his religion and the Catholic church. He commented that the school doesn't require extensive Catholic religious training. I suppose that's true. While some schools may have a lot of Catholic religious training, some don't.

I can't say I disagree with him. It makes sense to me.

I like people like him. He thinks out of the box and truly is looking out for his family. Like a lot of immigrants raising families here he's a somewhat strict disciplinarian. He has set a standard and by hell or high water his kids will live up to the standards he's set for them.

Asian families well are known for this. Most of the stories about the Asian kids coming home and doing their homework at the kitchen table under Mom's watchful eye are likely true or close to it. You seldom find an Asian immigrant's kids dropping out or majoring in sports. Sometimes I think that some of these families take some of this a bit too far, but that's OK. Their kids generally do well and that's about all that matters.

 This guy said the local Catholic school sets a pretty high bar for graduation and sticks with it. He figures his kids stand a better chance of getting into a decent school upon graduation. He's probably right because colleges know that Catholic schools tend to have higher academic standards than public schools do.

Incidentally, the days of the nasty old sexually frustrated bitter lesbian nun slicing recaltricent student's knuckles open with a steel edged ruler have been long over with for decades.

I'm not some closet Catholic sitting behind my keyboard espousing the goodness of Catholicism by a long shot. I'm just a guy that looks around and tries to see a little truth in things around me. I've posted it before. I am Catholic in dogtag only.

I simply see a local Catholic school as a possible option for someone that isn't impressed with their local school system.

One thing non-Catholic Christians might want to consider. Catholics are a Christian faith and share something with other Christian faiths. It's a lot closer to their values than a lot of values taught in public schools today.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment