Thursday, April 17, 2014

Home at last

after a thrilling tour at sea.

This time home I have a small issue to deal with.

I have a Remington 700 that I have been working on to turn it into a long range competitive rifle and found it is on the recall list because of a faulty trigger mechanism. 

While I suppose the trigger is OK I have decided that sending the rifle to Remington to repair isn't all that good of an idea. 

First of all, I have taken it out of its original configuration and added a few doo-dads here and there. Remington's policy has been reported that they strip everything off, put it in a plastic bag and send you back the rifle in its original configuration.

I suppose I can see why. It's a liability issue that was likely caused by a greedy lawyer and a stupid jury. Most likely they got sued for someone else's stupidity.

Anyway, a lot of people are griping but I am taking this as an opportunity to tune the rifle up a bit.

The truth is that the instant I altered the rifle the day I got it I voided the guarantee. I knew it and did it anyway as do a lot of serious shooters. A rifle fresh out of the box is generally only a platform to build what you want on.

In reality this is the same as a guy buying a vehicle and modifying it for another purpose. In the case of the rifle it is a case of taking an excellent hunting rifle and turning it into a target rifle. It's just a matter of polishing it up a bit.

The fix in this case is not to send the rifle back to the maker. The fix is to simply replace the factory trigger with a better one.

I simply ordered a good match grade trigger and I will install it when it arrived. I have been meaning to do this anyway and this recall is just the excuse I need.

Sometimes you have to look at something bad as an opportunity to make something better.

I'll tell you what happens after I install the damned thing. 




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment