Monday, December 9, 2019

Funny what grease and a couple of lag will do to a garage door opener.

The garage door opener started acting up. It would close part way and reopen. There was a sang of some sort and when it hit the snag the brain in it would act like someone was caught in it so it would stop for a second and then go back up.

I ran it a couple of times and located the snag. It was because the braces were loose and the thing shook a bit when it hit the snag and sort of jammed it momentarily, long enough to get the brain in the thing to react.

I noticed the braces were shaking and looked at them carefully. They appeared to have been installed as an afterthought and were simply held in place by nails that seemed to have worked themselves out.

I also felt the insides of the runners and they were dry. I promptly filled them with grease and that improved things. Still, the rails shook as did the braces.

Out came the old nails and I simply put in a couple of lag bolts. This eliminated about 96.87% of the shaking and the old door runs like a Swiss watch again.

For a minute I was beginning to think I would have to replace the whole shooting match but simple maintenance did the trick. 






To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment