Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Someone asked me about what he should do to build himself a good

Pennsylvania deer rifle.

He went on and on about the various calibers and barrels, scopes and stocks and who to got to put this masterpiece together. He carried on for quite some time before he asked me what I use when I go deer hunting.

His jaw dropped when I told him I use a Model 94 Winchester I picked up in a pawn shop.

Then he started stammering and stuttering about this and that and how I was doing it all wrong because he just KNEW he had to have an expensive custom made rifle to bag a poor deer with.

I shrugged that the old war horse worked for me and I never had any problems with it because the overwhelming majority of deer kills in PA are well under 100 yards and most of them are well under 50 yards.

His brain unfogged a bit when I told him that a custom gun is nice to own but is entirely unnecessary and on top of that I don't care if the old Winchester gets scratched up a bit. It is going to get scratched up in the woods.

Then I asked him how upset he'd be if his new spendy custom got banged up a bit. He looked sort of upset at the thought.

When he asked me about accuracy I told him that a minute of venison is all you need and the deer isn't going to know if he got hit with a 30-30, a.308 or a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I do believe I opened his eyes a bit because he asked me where the pawn shop was.


To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment