Tuesday, February 20, 2018

In a Facebook thread I pointed one thing out

to a few teachers that were against arming teachers.


The conversation went back and forth and I later pointed out that sometimes a whack job with a gun is a whole lot better to deal with than a whack job with a truck full of explosives.

For some reason the thread disappeared. I attribute it to the truth bothering the person that started it.

A number of years ago I was working for someone else and they started playing with the pensions. here were a lot of people upset. I was union at the time and as a result had no dog in the fight.

I was asked what I thought and told them that there was a lot of emotion going on regarding pensions and they were running the risk of workplace violence which I defined as anything from a shove to a bombing. When you think about it, all it takes is a guy that thinks he has nothing left to lose and the thought of losing a pension can do that to a man, especially one with a disease like cancer and not too much time left.

I pointed out that the office building was a damned soft target, the road system in and out was only one easily blocked road. I also mentioned that the long, straight runs with 90 degree turns were perfect for a sniper and a number of other things.

The supervisor that asked me turned purple and asked me why I knew so much. I told him it was obvious.

He wanted me to think like a killer so I did and it scared the hell out of him. What he didn't recall is that earlier he had asked me to think like a mechanic and I figured out what was wrong with something.

My reward for all of this was to be put on the watch list. I later humiliated him a couple times but that's neither here nor there. The clincher was when I asked him how he felt that I didn't think he was worth the 27 cents a bullet cost at the time.

The recent shootings in Florida have made a lot of teachers upset when the suggestion of arming them comes up and the truth is that most of them can't even begin to think logically.

"Can you imagine a social studies teacher with a Glock facing a killer?" asked one.

The truth is that a social studies with a Glock at least has a chance to survive and save the kids. The hand wringing little schoolmarm has no chance against an armed assailant. None.

The debate went on until a couple of us pointed out that the truth is that a guy with a gun isn't really the one you look out for as there are actually a limited amount of casualties that he can create before he is either overcome or runs out of ammunition.

Timothy MacVeigh took a truckload of fertilizer and diesel and practically leveled an entire Federal building. He killed 168 people and injured about 680 if my memory serves me.

Like it or not, we live only because someone doesn't want us dead. If they want us to die badly enough, we're goners. A lot of people don't want to face that awful truth but they ought to face it often.

Maybe it will tend to make them a little kinder towards other people.

I'll bet you if people were kinder to the Florida school shooter then we would not be having this sad discussion.








To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment