Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I might as well explain myself

as far as what both got me into and where I am going in ham radio.

I figure there are enough mainstream hams out there so that there is room for someone like me to take the road less traveled. Someone should and I will cheerfully volunteer as I will get satisfaction out of going the route I chose.

I got my ham ticket so that I could set up a little manpack portable station which I have done via the MilSurp route. I have a little Prc 320, made in UK that brings me joy simply making a QSO of any sort on it.

Although I am in my 60th year, I seem to still have a lot of spunk and mischief left in me so the rig seems to fit me like a glove. I take quite a bit of joy out of tossing the thing in my pickup and setting it up in various places and making a simple QSO. What I do I refer to as guerilla radio. I'm in and out of somewhere before you know it.

Armed with my trusty slingshot a tree or light fixture becomes an impromptu antenna mast and one of the nicest little sessions I have had with the rig took place when I sent my antenna aloft over a light fixture in a Wally World parking lot after hours.

One of the nicer things about doing things like this is that the police, who are usually pretty cynical about a lot of things rend to leave hams doing things like this alone as they generally are aware of them being good guys come disaster time. A little DXpedition can always be truthfully explained as an emergency communications drill, whis is is in a way. Just do not use an M-1 grenade launcher as a line throwing gun, that sort of thing and I suppose that keeping the slingshot out of sight is a good idea, too.

I have a small DXpedition or two in the offing, too. There are a few high points in US-30 I want to check out with the little 30 watt rig. What's nice about this is that a couple of guys from an internet forum I am on are interested in coming along or meeting up. New friends to be made.

I don't intend to bust my butt and haul the rig up to the top if some far flung remote peak somewhere out next to BFE, I'll keep it simple and maybe try places that are vehicle accessible as my boonie stomping days are nearing an end and hikes packing rucksacks are not up my alley anymore.

The IC-718 is sort of a winter thing and I'll probably run it in the winter and see what happens as I do not like doing cold weather any more.


==========================================




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment