Saturday, August 6, 2011

WHere is moose and squirrel?

One of my crew is a High Jedi Master out of making a colossal thing out of absolutely nothing and I have to admit that it is quite a talent.

Yesterday he swept out a couple of corners on deck in preperation for painting. He did such a good job that it made it rain which of course, sent him back to square one. When it dries he will have to do the job over again because I didn't get to paint it yesterday.

His good natured griping about it made me laugh.

"You didn't do anything?" he accused. "You didn't cover the entire vessel with tarps and lay out hundreds of towels and get the shop vac out to suck up any water, did you?"

He went on and on and on, obviously making a colossal project of totally epic proportions out of nothing and it made me laugh myself silly as I saw that he was simply making fun of just another dopey little thing that happened out here.

The other day when he woke up, he poked his head out of the bunk room, turned his head in either direction and looked at me as I sat there drinking coffee.

"Vere is moose and squirrel?" he asked me, in a heavy Russian accent.

I snarfed.

It went right over the head of the younger guy sitting across from me, probably because it came from a cartoon series that ran in the early 60s. Right out of nowhere, I had to deal with none other than the Rocky and Bullwinkle show's world famous evil Russian spy, Boris Badenoff.

His imitation and accent was letter perfect and came right back to the period of the Cold War where I recall having to hide under a desk at school.

And in one funny gesture as he was waking up he brought all the humor and pathos of being a kid in the middle of the Cold War back to me. It made me recall the time I got a QSL card from Radio Havana right smack dab during the middle of the Cuban missile crisis. I remembered hiding under my desk at school. I remember the fear and all of the things that went on during that period, yet I remember laughing about it as a little kid watching Rocky and Bullwinkle.

The cartoons of the era were a lot less politically corret than they are now. Many of the ones I saw as a kid were reruns from the WW2 era with buck toothed Japanese and monocled Germans in them. They really were not made for kids with their underlying tones and little things. Even Popeye was always muttering things that went over our young heads. I wish I could see them now that I would understand them, but I fear they have been put in deep storage somewhere by a politically correct society.

As an adult I realize they were little subliminal messages to encourage us to buy war bonds.

In one stupid little impromptu skit my shipmate brought it all back to me.

It takes a lot to make me snarf, yet this guy has a knack at catching me off guard and the truth is, it sure makes time pass out here. I hope he keeps up the good work.

===================================



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment