Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Last night's DXpedition to the mountains was pretty cool

Last evening I packed up my little manpack rig and met up with a couple of other guys I know and headed off to the Laurel Highlands along US 30.

We tried to get an antenna up over a snag tree and after a couple of tries with snagging monofiliment in various bad edges decided that it would be a lot safer on the gear to simply use the nearby light poles as the lights were out, anyway.

The slingshot made fast work of getting paracord over them and the antenna went up OK.

We were trying to get through to the ARFCOM Tuesday night net at 2130 EDT on 3.898 MHz later on that evening.

Reception was pretty good and I managed to snag a station and he said I came in all right, barely above the background noise which is par golf for the little rig.

Although it was not really as good as I had hoped for, it was fun.

Of course, come about 2120 things got a bit noisy on 80 meters so we never got through to the ARFCOM net. I'll try again some time.

Still a good time was had by all.


Here's a picture of two of us sitting on the side of the road with the little manpack set up and running.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment