Sunday, December 30, 2012

Menu item: Chicken of Somesort


I asked the guy cooking what he was planning for the evening meal and he said we were having chicken of somesort.

Now there are several chicken delacacies out there that I can bring to mind. There is Chicken Tetrazzini which to me sounds like some sort of disease requiring antibiotics and bedrest for weeks to cure but in fact is a pretty good meal. There is Chicken Carbone which sounds like chicken that has been burned to a black crisp but is pretty good, also Chicken ala King and there are numerous recipes involving chicken, almost all of them good. That doesn't even begin to enter barbecues, salads, soups and doens of other ethnic recipes, all of which I can cheerfully would down and clamor for seconds and even thirds.

I am here overlooking the galley and my shipmate is busy preparing Chicken of Somesort. He is making some sort of sauce to cook it in and likely making up the recipe as he goes along. The sauce started life as orange juice with spices and interesting little things being added to it as he goes.

It is fascinating to watch him. He stops for a second and looks in the freezer and comes out with a pair bags of of leftover frozen vegetables, carefully looks and puts the vegetables on the counter and opens up a cabinet and starts scanning. Out comes a box of ziti that has only a little in it and he throws it into a small saucepan and starts cooking it.

Back to the refrigerator and he then grabs half a leftover pepper and cuts it up and puts that on the counter next to the vegetables.

Then the juices of the sauce that he has just cooked the chicken in come out, or at least part of them and he adds the peppers and lets them cook a while and then adds the veggies and finally the ziti.

In a couple of minutes it is done and he plates up a portion.

It is a very colorful, tasty, well cooked meal and it hasn't taken him even a half hour.

I did take a cell phone picture of it because I wanted to post it but the picture didn't come out very clear and I really can't post it which makes me feel bad.

Chicken of somesort is a gourmet meal that ought to be seen and tasted to be appreciated.

We have had this before but for the likes of me I swear it looked different the last time, and although it was just as good it wasn't quite the same as it is now. I can't seem to figure it out.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment