Friday, December 14, 2012

Well, I am good to go now. I have the wiring done.

So if we lose power it will be a snap to go on generator power.

I spoke yesterday with one of the guys that works at the place I get a lot of my hardware. I told him what I was doing ans explained that I was only setting up operations to run the regrigerator and the furnace.

He told me that when Sandy was in the offing he sold every generator in the place, many of them to people that didnt have a clue. They just thought that bigger was better. Some bought 10 KW sets which is enough to easily power an entire home if you use a little common sense.

Most of these idiots had no idea of how to use these behemoths they bought and I would imagine that if Sadny had hit there would have likely been a lot of work for electricians and contractors undo  the damage that a lot of idiot Joe Homeowners did to both their wiring.

The larger generaors, properly installed would certainly make life comfortable, but unless they are wired in by someone that knows what they are doing they either can not be used to their capacity or if improperly installled are going to fry a lot of wiring.

I think there is a mentality out there that if they have the equipment that they are good to go.

I have looked at a number of these gensets and it strikes me that many of their owners are like the fools that buy a firearm for home defense and don't even bother to take it to the range and learn to use the damned thing.

The larger generators are a waste of money and effort if one doesn't find someone to install them properly. Still, it is funny to hear about the people that go out and spend a couple grand on something they can't use.











my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. The big problem is that there isn't enough "useful" information out there on generators for the public. You go to the store, and they want to sell you the most expensive one out there. You call an electrical contractor and they want to hook up your house with whole home generator and a fancy hook up... for an amount of money greater than what I purchased any of my cars for. Call one of those self help programs on the radio and they are legally obligated to state that you have to go through a contractor.

    I've got a small generator and I've set up two male/male extension cords in order to run the freezer and refrigerator. This set up has helped me out for several years. However, this is also a very dangerous set up and I'd appreciate it if someone with some technical skills could help me upgrade to a safer set up. (I know enough about electrical work and homeowners insurance to know that this is something that I don't want to do myself.)

    ReplyDelete