Tuesday, January 8, 2013

There seems to be a movement out there

 to make gun ownership a matter of pubic record since the paper in New York published the nice little map listing every pistol permit in a county or two.

An elected official in Connecticut is proposing to make the lists of all firearm owners public.

All this is going to do is result in more violence.

It will do no more than give burglars a nice little list of which houses to hit. If the people are gun owners, then you do not hit them during the night because you are likely to get shot.

What you do is hit the gun owners when they are at work and then you have a nice collection of firearms to peddle on the street to gangs and other criminals.

As things go now being a burglar after normal working hours is a somewhat risky business. You take a chance that the homeowner is armed and is willing to engage. What it has done is keep a lot of criminal types out of the burglary business and in other safer forms of criminal enterprise.

Several years ago I was headed off to a match when a new (and short lived) neighbor saw me loading up. I was casing up an M-14 I owned at the time heading off to a 7.62 match in the driveway and they were walking their dog.

The instant the rifle was cased and in the truck the clown walked up to me and started give me a lecture that they thought gun ownership made the neighbor hood unsafe.

I shot back that it was gun ownership that MADE the neighborhood safe and started pointing to the houses indicating who did what.

"Joe there, Deer hunter. Neighbor Bob, bird hunter. Larry, target shooter. Nurse Connie, owns a piece for self-defense."

I went on a bit and the neighborhood newbie was agape. Then I pointed down the street at another house.

"After Colombine that idiot tried to blame us gunowners for it. They went so far as to post a 'Gun free home' sticker in the front window. I have lived here for over 15 years and they have been the only burglary victims on the street. Happened about a couple of weeks after they posted the sign."

He stood agape and I went on.

"You live under an umbrella of protection provided by armed neighbors. If you would like I can tell the rest of the neighbors that you don't want us to look after you, your wife and children. We can just let whoever do what they want to you and yours. Want that? It's a dangerous world out there and we, the locals have taken action to make this neighborhood a little more safer. Want me to have the rest of us let whatever happens to you and yours just run it's course?"

"Uh, no..." he responded.

"Then why dont you just shut the hell up. Better yet, why not put a couple of boxes of NATO 7.62 Federal Match on my doorstep some time so I can practice a little more. Next time you see a cop drive by, flag him down and ask him. He'll tell you."

I turned back to what I was doing.

Later that afternoon I was sitting on the porch cleaning my rifle after the match and he saw me and nodded. He looked a little embarrassed. I never gave it much thought and wonder if he had figured it out but I never did find out beacuse a couple months later he moved.

Now our elected officials want to make it easier for criminals to figure out which houses are profitable to rob and which ones are unsafe.

All I can say it that with stupid elected officials like that the people in this country ought to go out and buy a carton of cigarettes and start saving rags for use as blindfolds.


*************************

Incidentally, speaking of cigarettes and blindfolds, I wonder if the custom of giving out cigarettes to those faced with death by musketry is a good idea. Cigarettes are bad for the health. When you think of it, we have a responsibility of looking out for the health of those facing capital punishment. After all, they do sterilize the needle before they lethally inject someone.

To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html

1 comment:

  1. Your parting thought cracked me up. No cigs for those about to die, it could effect their health.

    Write on.

    ReplyDelete