Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Deer are not an endangered species

The other day I was on the subject of hunting and the perception people have of it.

Sometime around the turn of the 20th century the white tailed deer population of the continental United States was around 50,000. Now it is estimated at over 32 million.

So much for the argument of Bambi heing an overhunted species. It is growing to the point that in my neck of the woods they are a nuisance. The Fish and Game people issue doe permits left and right simply to try and get the numbers down in places.

A few years ago when I visited my hometown I saw a small herd wandering around after dark. I had seen only one or two in the wild there during my entire childhood and I spent a lot of time in the woods.

A big part of this is likely because those animals have value. They are sought after by hunters who buy licenses and contibute to various preservation groups.

My sportsman's club begins every meeting with reciting the Izaac Walton pledge to conserve the outdoors.

Personally I mow the way-back every fall to insure that there is regrowth to feed the deer. I probably shouldn't but I do like seeing them in my back yard. I've watched several does give birth to their fawns over the years. Often 40 feet away from my back window.

While I am not going to say that the hunting groups and the resulting fees are totally responsible for the number of deer in the country, they have sure helped.

There are a lot of other contributing factors. 

Many of their natural predators have been reduced either by being killed off or by the reduced habitat. Generally the former.

When you think about it, it makes sense. There are not a whole lot of cattlemen out there that look forward to seeing wolves near their herds. If I were a cattleman and saw wolves I'd be reaching into the scabbard for the .30/30.

Same holds true for coyotes. I'd drop them, too.

Still, the truth is that the deer hold value.

I live in Pennsylvania and most of the rural schools give their students the opening day of buck season a holiday so sons can accompany their fathers into the woods for the opening day of the hunt.

A lot of people come from out of state bringing in money to local merchants. They need licenses, food, a place to stay, gas and other odds and ends.

If it wasn't for the deer they would not come to Pennsylvania. It really is as simple as that.

The deer hunting industry draws a lot of revenue. This gives the animals value.

There's a running joke about how much a pound venison is to hunters after they get outfitted. I suppose in some instances it's true but for most of us, it's a license and a box of ammunition and we're good to go.

For me the costs are gasoline, a couple of rounds of ammunition and a license. That's about it.

I'm not too much of a traditional sportsman, either. I simply consider it a job if I want venison that year.

My hunting for the most part is done several days before the season. I scout the area, plan ahead and pace things off.

Then I set up a simple sniper's hide, arrive at the legal time, dig in and wait. Generally I am out of the woods and home well before noon, seldom empty handed.

Of course, many years I simply use opening day to take a long walk in the woods. It's been a few years since I have taken a deer. I generally take a nap and come home in the early afternoon, rested and satisfied.

Several years ago I took my cat with me on a leash. That was a fun hunt but I digress.

Still, a big part of the boom in the deer population is that the animals have value.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

2 comments:

  1. Now I need to know about the trip with the cat. Please tell us more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://piccolo-ofsailboatsandseeningeyecats.blogspot.com/2009/10/sec-and-i-go-hunting.html

    Taking Tokie hunting.

    ReplyDelete