Friday, July 25, 2014

Every so often there comes a time to stop and rethink things

.

Some time ago I almost had what would have been a serious traffic accident and it scared the hell out of me.

I was in the wrong and won't get into the details save had I not been in a hurry I would not have had the close call happen.

It wasn't long ago I'd shrug off close calls but for some reason this one was different. It was out of character. Maybe it was a wake-up call for me to slow down a bit and take in more of the scenery. I hope so because that's what I am going to do from now on.

We often get in a hurry to get someplace and the truth is that when we get there we are only going to do nothing.

When I get to work I generally overnight in a motel and when I get off and go home I'm just looking forward to doing something like mowing the lawn.

I suppose I can get there a little later as the motel or the lawn are not going anywhere fast and will still be there when I get home.

I think that one of these days soon I am going to either get up a little earlier or get off work a little earlier and drive the backroads home instead of hurrying.

I'll take in a little more Americana and see the sights and smell the smells.

Some time ago I took a US route across Pennsylvania and stopped off when I saw something worth seeing. I came home with a can of maple syrup and the memory of watching a pretty good Pony League ball game.

It was fun stopping off at some Dutchman's place and buying the syrup. He also gave me a tour of his work shop where he makes cabinets.

The ball game was pretty neat, too. Unlike a professional game with overpriced hot dogs, the dogs thee were a buck apiece and I had a ice cold beer and chatted with a couple of the parents.

It was good seeing those kids play their hearts out for love of the game as opposed to a bunch of overpaid big egos out on the field playing for the big bucks.

Maybe that close call was a good thing and I can use the heads up it gave me to my advantage.

There are a few other things I am going to rethink.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment