Thursday, July 24, 2014

I do not know why

 but from time to time women approach me under certain circumstances and ask me questions about how guys think.

A little while ago someone asked me to meet him at a halfway point which I did. We picked a place that we both knew the location of and called it good. It was actually a bar and I got there first.

I was early so I sat down at the bar and ordered a coke because I seldom drive even after a single drink and never drive after two. The bar was a little crowded and some young lass of about 30 or 35 sat down next to me. She was pleasant and I quickly surmised she was doing the same thing I was, which is to say she was waiting for someone.

We chatted and as we were I thought that if this was back in Kodiak I would have likely challenged her to a cribbage game to pass the time. They don't do that in stateside bars though. Every Alaskan bar used to have a deck of well worn cards and a cribbage board in it.

After a while I guess she grew comfortable chatting with me. Maybe she thought of ma as a fatherly figure or something. Then lowered her voice a bit and and asked me what guys talk about when they are out drinking. Was it sports?

I, of course, looked around like some kind of mafioso type getting ready to give the order for someone to be whacked. 

I drew my head in and lowered my voice. She lowered her head and looked at me like I was some kind of Indian guru that was getting ready to tell her the true meaning of life.

"The younger guys," I said. "They talk about their jobs and girlfriends."

She nodded, sucking in my precious pearls of wisdom.

"Middle aged guys talk about their jobs, wives and kids," I continued.

She listened carefully, most likely because whe was entering middle age and realized it. She nodded.

" The older guys gripe about their prostates," I finished.

"Really?" she asked.

"That's about it," I replied.

"Thank you," she said.

I caught me friend coming through the door so I excused myself and bailed out. 



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment