Sunday, November 16, 2014

One of the things that made me fairly accepting of gay marriage

 is that I do not like government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

Someone once commented that everyone should be able to pass his/her stuff on to someone without the government sticking their nose in and stealing a part of it. That made sense to me. 

When I first heard the term 'civil union' I decided that it would make more sense for the government to simply give one to couple that wanted one regardless of just about everything but age (18 or 21 minimum age) and (you can't marry a halibut) species. It simply makes sense to me to permit people to pass their stuff on without greedy old Uncle Sam to take and give to someone else. The more I think about it the better idea it sounds.

It would be available to any two people regardless of sexual orientation or even lack of it. 

As far as marriage in the traditional sense goes, if you want to get married, go see the preacher. It would amount to the same thing but with the religious overtones. Marriage would be up to the preacher. If he felt it was within the rules of his church he could perform the marriage. If not he would not be forced to.

The truth on the gay marriage issue is pretty much in step with my basic tenets that if it doesn't rob me or break my leg, it's generally fine by me. Why people want to tell other people how to live is generally beyond me if they are causing them no harm.

I know of a couple of siblings, neither of which had any desire to get married and simply decided to stay together under the same roof. In fact, I had an aunt and uncle that lived in a duplex. She was an old maid school teacher and he was a confirmed bachelor. Seeing that neither of them had any desire to marry I'd say that a civil union would have fit the bill for the pair of them. In reality they were a team of some sort in life. Close enough for government work.

When one passed away the other could have cleanly inherited the other's stuff without having Uncle stick his sticky fingers into the pot and seize a handful.

The relatives I am speaking of died decades ago so the point is moot.

Still, everyone should be able to pass their estate or whatever on to at least someone without governmental intervention.



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment