Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Yesterday I posted that I am my own great grandfather

A few years back I rented a Stearman and had a great time blowing the shingles off of every barn roof in SW PA and buzzing every Conrail train We could find.

Afterwards I had my picture taken in 30s flying regalia. I had the picture printed up in a sepia tone and hung it beneath a picture of my father standing next to an identical plane he had just solo'd in during WW2. Dad was a teenager then. I was about sixty when my picture was taken.

My neighbor looked at the two pictures and told me I looked just like my grandfather because he thought that my picture, being printed in sepia tone was older. He thought I was my father's father.

So I guess this means people think I am my own grandfather.

Yesterday's picture was a case of having a little fun with a program called 'PhotoScape'. 

My grandfather (or maybe great grandfather) was to be hanged in Ireland for stealing sheep and somehow managed to escape and make it to the European mainland, arriving in France broke, tired, homeless and hungry. At wit's end he joined the Foreign Legion because he knew they would feed him. Bam! off to Marsailles for a few days and off to Sidi Bel Abbes, Algeria for training and then to French Indochina for a while where he almost died of jungle fever.

He managed to luck out and was sent back to Algeria to get his health back and I guess pulled some 'Beau Geste' duty in North Africa until he talked his way into becoming a cook.

When his enlistment contract was up he managed to board a ship for the United States where he married and opened a business that was fairly successful.

Anyway, there was supposedly an old tintype or other form of old picture of him floating around somewhere. Nobody knew where it went so I recreated one.

The shirt is a simple khaki work shirt, the scarf a simple white scarf. The cigar was floating around the house and was a couple of years old. The kepi I pulled out of my souvenir sea chest. A neighborhood kid snapped my picture. I downloaded it, opened PhotoScape and played with it and that's what I got.

I am now my own great grandfather.

There it is.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment