Monday, January 17, 2011

I went through a drug store today and looked at technology for sale cheap.

It was pretty amzing to see all of the doo-dads that technology brings us.

There were recorders, various portable music boxes, flash drives and little chips for electronic cameras.  One camera chip for about $20 is the same as 100 rolls of 35mm film!

I generally ignore these things because I am a simple person and not a techno guy. It's been a couple of years since I've gone and looked to see what is out there, and i was sort of overwhelmed.

About 12 years ago I gave a guy a ride that had just gotten out of Federal prison. I was about 47 or 48 at the time and the man had been in the joint since shortly before I was born. While he knew Windows 95 inside and out, he was astonished at the workings of a gas pump. He was worried that I was stealing gas because I didn't go in to pay for the gas I had pumped and I had to explain to him how you paid for it by swiping a card.

Now, because I hadn't been observant over the new techhnology that I had been passing by daily in drug stores, I was feeling like I was behind the times. For a few minutes I felt almost lost at what I had let slip by me.

I wonder how the newly released con felt when he got out after almost 50 years of sitting on ice. I can't imagine. He must have felt like he was on Mars or maybe in the USS Enterprise of 'Star Trek' fame.

I suppose if I was in his shoes, I'd have probably just wanted to turn around and go back into the joint where it was comfortable and safe!


my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment