Friday, January 21, 2011

Today is a day of painting the bedroom.

 It is the last of the entire downstairs part of the house to be painted and that is, of course, a good thing.

I'll put on a pair of shorts and crank up the heat and sit on my ass and paint the baseboards and then paint the window trim and it will be done. I painted the walls and overhead yesterday. Neighbor Bob dropped by with his impeccable timing and watched me paint the overhead and was very helpful as he could see what I was doing from the corner of the room better than I could. He told me when I had missed a spot here and there so I got excellent even coverage.

Last night I rehung all of the pictures so that when the baseboard, door and window trim is done, all I will have to do is a deep cleaning and yard all the furnishings back into the room.

This morning there was a lot of snow on the ground and it is still snowing lightly as I write. I decided to blow out the driveway and did so in a very short time.
Before I bought the snow blower, it would take me forever and a day just to shovel out the basic rudiments of getting things operational, meaning so I could park the Taco get in and out of the house. Not anymore. I blasted out the entire driveway and cleared the mailbox area for the mailman in jig time.

I hate snow with a purple passion, but I'll have to say that the snow blower has made it a little more bearable. At least I don't have to go out and shovel and freeze my ass off shoveling.

One of the things you have to understand about snow blowers is that they are not magic and that they are simply a tool. You have to know how to use it and take things slow and patiently because like most good things, failure to think and use it properly can get you into trouble.

A snow blower blows snow, but it will also throw things like gravel and whatever it picks up. The throwing action is forceful enough to break a window or mar paint on a vehicle if you are not careful. Catching a newspaper in the auger can also jam things up pretty good, too. The first step is generally digging the newspaper out of the snow to prevent this.

The next step is to generally watch where the snow is going to fly and adjust the chute to make sure the snow goes where it should. Often times you have to stop and readjust, which really takes no time at all. You stop, readjust and continue.

All of this sounds pretty simple, but you would be astonished to find out how many people there are that simply do not know how to use tools. They get impatient and force things, try to speed things up or they simply are not aware of the limitations and functions of the tool.
My all-time favorite out there that a lot of people think is the be-all and the end-all as far
as transportation goes is the four-wheel drive vehicle.

"Hey, Joe! Watch this! I don't have to even slow down on this ice and snow because I have FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!"
Three minutes later: Crunch.

"What happened? This is four wheel drive."
You have to think, and that goes for all tools from the venerable hammer all the way to the surgeons Lasik beam.

Anyway, that is what I have to say for today because the heat is cranked up and it is now warm enough for me to put on my shorts and start painting.


I got it all done except for the inside of the closet, so I can move the furniture in tomorrow sometime. It looks pretty good.


my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment