Friday, January 7, 2011

It is snowing here.


That means to me that today I have been handed a big, giant, new and improved suck pill which I have to eat and there is no liquor out here to wash it down with.

One of the things I have noticed over the years is that most of the people that either like or profess to not mind snow are those souls that do not have to work in it.

One of the things that sailors do is spend a lot of time out in the weather and although rain can be miserable, it isn’t too bad if you don a good set of raingear.

Snow, on the other hand, sticks around for a while after it falls down from the heavens. Rain at least has the common decency to go away once it hits the ground. Snow can stick around for weeks.

I had a fellow crewman once tell me that he didn’t mind working during a snowfall and when I heard that I knew I was going to have a hard time with him because that simple statement told me that he was incapable of planning ahead.

I was right. The guy turned out to be one of those guys that would create work for himself, which didn’t bother me too much. What did annoy me is the amount of work he created for the rest of us. He turned out to be one of those guys that go through life going through three hours of misery to get out of five minutes worth of work.

Rain at sea is the easiest of all things to get rid of. All you have to do to get rid of rain is to pull a scupper plug open and let gravity perform its duty.

Snow, on the other hand, just gets in the way and must be shoveled and moved around. It’s a miserable thing to deal with.

As I get older, I start to think that maybe come winter I ought to snoop around and see if I can get transferred to a warmer clime.

I just might have to look into that.






my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment