Thursday, December 29, 2011

But it's ugly.......

I get a kick out of some people.

I wound up getting a nice Hard Dog roll bar for the Miata a while ago for a song. It came from a used car place and I got the story that went along with it. Some little chickiepoo was looking to buy a cute little Miata and the guy in the lot had just the cream puff for her.

When she saw it, there was the roll bar installed in it and she asked what it was for. The salesman told her that it could  save her life in the event of a pollover.

"But it's ugly!" she said.

So the salesman had it yanked and I wound up with it for next to nothing.

While I wish no evil on anybody, I can't help wonder what would be going through her mind as she was sitting in the cockpit of the little car all busted up after rolling it down an embankment.

There are a lot of tradeoffs in life.

Back in the days before cable TV one few choices for TV reception. If you were fairly near the transmitter you could use a pair of rabbit ears and park the unit on top of the set.

If you didn't live so close you put up an outside antenna. They were aluminum things and you can still see quite a few of them atop houses because they were a hassle to put up and once up things like that are seldom removed.

I suppose they are ugly, too.

I wonder how many women looked at them and got all upset and asked their husbands if here wasn't something else they could do besides set up that big, ugly antenna. Probably quite a few.

Of course after it had been up for a brief period of time it just became another part of the woodwork.

Over the years I have only seen one guy gripe about how something useful was ugly.

I had this old pickup and the guy actually said I ought to get rid of it. I asked him why and he told me it was ugly.

I replied, "You're ugly, too, but you don't hear me talking about taking you to Smokey's dump!"

The truck lasted me a couple more years.

Anyway, life is a tradeoff. The old TV antennas taught me that. If you want good TV reception you have to look at an ugly antenna sometimes.

As I write now I am looking at a small ground-plane antenna for a 2 meter rig I am planning on calling the International Space Station with. I guess someone will tell me that it is ugly so I better get ready to tell someone off. Oh, well.





my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment