Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vacations should be busy

One of the things I like about Perry and vacations like that is that I actually get to do something.




Fly an airplane, run a radio station, shoot, swim, scuba dive, just about anything just so long as I stay busy. If it puts me in a position where I have to deal with strange things, better yet!



I just can't see going to some canned resort place and folowing a herd of people around. I do not do well in those situations and the truth is I generally do not like a lot of the people I meet in places like that.



On the other hand, when I am doing something specific, there are other people there with similar interests.



Many moons ago when I went on vacation to St. Croix I spent an awful lot of time on he streets and in non hotel bars and dinky little gin joints meeting the locals and getting local flavor. What was neat is that they would tell me to go to all sorts of places off the beaten path.



One day I helped fix someone's boat and got taken fishing and another time I met a sailboater and went on a daysail. The owner had been a Naval officer and had met some submariners off of a sub that had pulled into port so the whole pushof us went out for a wild day sail in a preety good breeze and had one hell of a time. Later we actually tied up alongside the sub and the sailboat owner and I got a tour and stayed for dinner. This was about 30 years ago and it would not happen now.



Vacations go pretty fast for me because when I am somewhere I generally do not go I am generally running at about 200 miles an hour all day and night punctuated by a few hours of sleep here and there.



In St. Croix I had a room but a couple of times I just slept on the beach if the wind was right and I wouldn't get eaten alive by the sand fleas. It's not about nice accomodations for me. It's about people and adventure.




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely correct about the best type of vacations..
    Going to visit the Son-in law in Germany in Sept. planning on visiting many war memorials, drinking real beer and such like...Not going to be part of any group tours..
    SIL is a Major in the Army so might get to play with some neat toys..Armor rocks...

    ReplyDelete