Thursday, June 5, 2014

One of the things I like about working at sea

 is that there are a lot of guys that pick up quickly on things.

The cell phone chargers are one thing that comes to mind. One of my shipmates has one with a couple of different ends on it and plugs it in as soon as he comes aboard. It's great as it reduces the number of wall warts needed to keep everyone's personal communications up. 

He generously shares it with everyone else on board and makes life easier for everyone.

Little things like that create a harmony on board and cut down on bickering.

Tonight I looked at my cell phone and saw it needed charging. I looked at the wire that fits my phone. Someone else was using it but his phone was fully charged so I unplugged his and plugged mine in. It's charging now.

If the phone that I found being charged wasn't fully charged I would have simply waited my turn.

It wasn't always that way. Once I plugged my phone into an unused charger and got a lecture from the owner on property rights. I agreed with him and told him it would never happen again. It didn't. 

Of course, he wasn't a very happy camper when I told him to move his charger so I could use the outlet. I suggested he would be a whole lot happier plugging his wall wart into an outlet in the generator room.

I generally do a lot of the grub shopping for the boat because the crew flies into town for crew change and I drive. 

I figure that if I have to go shopping for myself, I might as well go for the other guys involved and it works out pretty good. It saves them a hassle and in turn they do most of the cooking.

There are an awful lot of cases where people have rights and can stick to them but it's going to hurt them to do so. You have to think a bit and be flexible.

The guy that was ordered to move his wall wart to the generator room just screwed himself by not looking out for his shipmates and trying to make life easier for them.




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment