Thursday, February 5, 2015

Over 5 years now

I have been at this blog daily for over five years now, posting daily with very few days without a post. Not bad.

My sister set this up for me as a way to pass time when I was visiting over the holidays. The family was working and I was sort of left alone while the tribe went about the business of work and daily life.

My niece's kids were small and she was juggling between work and sitting other kids as several moms had some kind of deal worked out. My niece was working nights so she baby sat for a few kids. I don't remember what the deal was.

Anyway my sister set her computer semi-illiterate brother up with this and I simply ran with it. I figured I'd post when I felt like it but it didn't take long for it to be daily discipline. 

I travel quite a bit and the challenge for a while was to get a post of any sort out while I was on the road or in the air. I managed fairly well. If there was a way, I generally got my post out. However, I have had times when there was simply no internet service when I was at sea in odd places.

Early on I wanted to take the blog on the road so to speak. I wanted to take it to Afghanistan and interview the troops but decided against it. The reasons were interesting.

While the guys I wanted to interview said they wanted me to come, they also said that it would be a bad deal for both them and for me. It wasn't the first termers, Guardsmen, Reservists that were expected to be the problem. It was a case of the higher up officers simply being afraid of me.

Most likely they would not be able to fathom that I was just a regular guy. Questions would be raised and the fear that I might write about something that would raise eyebrows further up the chain. This would likely lead them to start playing stupid games such as the age old game of painting rocks white and making little paths.

I decided to stay put.

Anyway, this has proven to me to be  good discipline has given me a certain sense of purpose. I'm glad I decided to do this. 




To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment