Thursday, August 25, 2022

Recovering from a fire.

Is a nightmare.

Today the box up crew showed up and boxed up everything on the top and middle floor. I do not know when they will be back to do the basement.

I think I'll share the process.

The instant the last ember is smothered the board up crew shows up and boards up your house. Then nail the living dogsnot out of everything pretty much for security purposes. I guess in other neighborhoods houses get plundered when the fire department leaves. In my case the fire happened on a Monday and I arrived on scene Tuesday about 0730ish. I didn't break in until Wednesday.

The adjuster showed up Wednesday as did the city Fire Marshal to determine the cause. As of now it is undetermined.

The following day the insurance company's investigator showed up and did their thing and left. Over the next few days we picked a fire remediation/reconstruction company. We chose 'The company formerly known as Firedex' which is now owned by BMS-CAT. 

Same crew, same team, under a new umbrella. They have a local excellent reputation and one thing to look for is a company that does remediation AND rebuild construction. It makes for a neater package.

The thing that is annoying is the chain of custody ot the money. Apparently the insurance company has to pay me. What will happen is the contraactor (former Firedex will bill the insurance company who will send ME a check to sign over to them. I wish they would just pay it directly.

Anyway, what generally happens is the contractor comes in and everything you own gets boxed up and taken to their place where it is 'desmoked', and put into storage.

The boxing up crew takes everything except for cash, expensive jewlery, firearms, ammunition, drugs, alcohol and weapons of any type. I can live with that because it makes sense.

Next the movers will come in and move practically everything, furniture and all the boxed up stuff. After that the remediation and reconstructioncrew takes over and it will be interesting to see what happens. There's quite a bit of smoke damage and that's hard to determine and I have no clue what that's going to entail.

I will keep you posted as best I can through the process.

Estimated time until I am back in busines is supposedly 3 months but as busy as they seem, it's probably at least going to be 4. 

-----------------------------------------------



To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment