Thursday, November 24, 2022

Camping in.

A couple of days before I went back to work I moved out of the hotel and back into the unheated house, complete with only a temporary electricity box consisting of 4 recepticles. 

While I was at work Mrs. Piccolo's electrician came and got the place energized again. Electricity meant heat so when I got off the plane I came home to a warm home and hearth and, mainly Kitty which is always a good deal. If Kitty's OK then I'm OK.

Anyway, my work is cut out for me and there's just too much to do for one old man so it's find a couple of subs to do things. With the way things are these days this ain't gonna be easy. Good subs are busy as a general rule. I know about that all too well.

Had the general contractor (that I basically fired) had halfway decent subs I would not be in this predicament but when you see the subs can't even wire a temporary electrical installation properly, the plumber disabled the house that already had decent running water and the demolition people can't even unscrew a medicine chest for removal then you wonder why you have them to begin with.

I am currently of the opinion that when I mentioned I was a sailor he thought I knew nothing but beer, boats and backsplicing. A lot of people do. They forget that there are no plumbers, electricians or carpenters at sea and that we have to be pretty self-sufficient.

I got home a little late Tuesday and loafed Wednesday and today is Thanksgiving so I'm not in work mode yet. Wait a minute....

Dinner isn't until 1630 and it's 10:30 now. I think I can get the refrigerator back into place and rehook up the stove. We'll see what happens.

It's later. The fridge is reinstalled and now it's the stove which is gas and a long tale of woe as I have to figure out a way of raising it 3/4 of an inch to make it level with the cabinets that were installed 3/4 of an inch too high because the floor wasn't even and yada yada yada. Remodels are a bitch and require some thought and a touch of Mickey Mousing which I'm got good at.

One of the things many people do not realize is that a lot of what a remodeler does is create an illusion of perfect when it really isn't. 

The cabinets in my kitchen are not perfect. That's because I started with an out of level floot and out of plumb walls. Of course, the cabinets are perfectly square and if you look at them they sure llook perfect. What you don't see are the various shims and slight trimming of the face boards. 

Say what you will, but a good remodeler is probably one of the best carpenters you will ever meet.

It's later now and the stove is up and running and that means I have to go to the storage unit and get a few things. There's still a lot to do to make the kichen squared away but at least the basic tools are up and running.

The cool guys test gas connections with a Bic lighter. I am not one of the cool guys. I used soapy water. I USED to be one of the cool guys but after I saw one of them singe his eyebrows I decided that being cool wasn't worth it.

Anyway,'camp' is getting a little nicer as things pass.


Off for turkey dinner!














To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

2 comments:

  1. Having Kitty as a companion is the best! They can make you smile despite yourself!
    I'm glad to hear you back into your home but do understand to misery of your contractor problems. I was a carpenter for 45 years and have reached the age that makes it darn near impossible to do what I did. As I have heard what I used to do all night now takes me all night to do!
    Good luck with finishing up your domicile, enjoy this holiday, and give Kitty a scritch from me.

    ReplyDelete