Sunday, November 13, 2022

Melania Trump did not design the Merchant Marine uniform,


which would surprise a number of people. fact is, we wear rags. Rags? Yes. rags.

The unofficial clothiers are places like Goodwill, rummage sales or Bag Lady Sally who can gig a guy up half a duffel bag full of uniforms for well under five or six bucks.

A skipper is apt to show p for work in a pair of jeans some cowboy threw away and a deckhand is apt to wear a pair of jeans some tug skipper threw away.

Skippers sometimes show up in cutoff sweats and flip flops unless they are going to leave the wheelhouse in which case they slip on the ambigous work shoes.

The reason I am posting this is because I am getting pretty short and I am going through my stuff to figure what I am taking home and what gets ditched. 

I thnk I'll souvenier my float coat for occasional use during winter inclement weather and I'll hang onto my insulated overalls but that's about it. The grubby hoodies, ratty underwear. The wash and ready to wear through pants are history as are the oily gloves, nasty helmet liners and blessed (holey) socks. 

The work boots are shot and they'll get their laces tied together and get thrown over a power line or something. There's a trick to that to keep someone from getting them down with a pole. You have to make them flip around a time or two to lock them in so it'll take years for the weather to rot them off.

The reason I posted this is because my shipmate and I were yakking and I found out I am not alone. When I said I was a Merchant Mariner to someone they asked me where my uniform was.





To find out why the blog is pink just cut and paste this: http://piccoloshash.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-feminine-side-blog-stays-pink.html NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE WRITING OF TODAY'S ESSAY

No comments:

Post a Comment