Saturday, May 28, 2011

The ham radio station I am looking for. MilSpec. Got just the guy to try get it.

A few days ago I mentioned that I was looking for a MilSpec HF rig and I am.

I think I have figured out where I want to go with this ham ticket.

I want to put together a small, portable HF station that I can cart around with me if I so desire.

I have decided that I do NOT waant to set up some sort of radio shack in the back bedroom as I know how easy it is for such a thing to get completely out of hand. I've seen it before and I've done it before with my shooting some years back. The entire basement became a mess of things and has never really recovered.

I have gotten word out to Tim at 'The Old Grouch's Surplus' to keep his eyes peeled. He's a pretty heads up guy and probably a pretty good wheeler and dealer.

WHile I don't know much about the surplus business I can just imagine that there is a lot of trading off that goes on between the various surplus dealers.

Most of us are pretty familiar with the basic Army/Navy store of which there seems to be one within basic driving radius of most of us, but that's just a part of it, the part we see as part of the landscape.

There are all sorts of specialty surplus places that cater to people with a special interest. Want a Duece 'n half truck? They're out there. Want a RTTY rig? They are out there. There are specialty shops out there that cater to all sorts of needs.

From what I see on Tim's shop they cater not only to the 'I need a new pistol belt for my nail bags' people, but he ventures into trailers and maybe even vehicles, too.

I'm surmising that there is considerable trading going on out there among dealers, too. An oversimplification would be the guy that buys a boatload of canteen covers and trades 1/3 of them for canteens and another 1/3 for canteen cups so as to put together a complete canteen set to sell to the public as a unit.

Anyway, I've sent the project of getting my little ham station out to Tim to see what he can drum up and it may prove to be interesting. He may be able to help me, he may not be able to help me. Like everything else in life nothing is 100%.

Still, over the past few years Tim has been pretty good to me and we've done business a couple of times. I like doing business with guys like him because he seems pretty easygoing and does not sweat the small stuff. He's not one of those guys that tries to put his kids through college and medical school by making a single sale to you. He seems to know that the path to good business is to build up a successful clientle and to do that he has to serve one's needs. That's fair enough.

Although Tim isn't the only guy I do business with, of course, he's the first person I think of when I get some kind of idea involving surplus stuff.

I do not use this blog to peddle anything as a general rule. The only other thing I have done in over 700 posts is to speak highly of the Armor Lid people a while back.

Still, I'm going to give Tim a shameless plug here.


http://www.oldgrouch.com/

This link is hot. Click on it.
Check him out and see if he has what you need. If not, maybe he knows where to get it.



Feel free to get in touch with him if he doesn't have what you need on his website.

Pic, out




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment