Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tonight is a night of misery as I had to reformat the other combat laptop.

This means that I will have to download about 15 drivers and the anti-virus software and IE8 and God knows what else along with the fact that I lost a few blog posts I had written up in case I needed a quick post.

One good thing is that I have Laptop 2 and it is what I am using now.

Of course I had to dig out the WEP codes to get it on line, which was a snap as I had them written down in big letters hidden away. The damned router has them written on the back in micro-small letters and I have to use a magnifying glass to see them.

Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment and I have to get up early for that.
We'll see how that works out.

On a happy note, I was looking for an old radio to decorate the room with and at the suggestion of someone I know from another internet forum I got an old Hallicrafters SX-99 as it looks about right for what i want it for, a simple representation of a mid-40s short wave set of the type you might find on a ship of the era. Ten bucks, Craigslist and I think I can get it working with a minimum of fuss. It cleaned up pretty good, too.

I have been chipping away at my General ham ticket and I figure I'm probably good to go on that. There's a couple places nearby that give the test on Saturday and Sunday so I figure that if I bolo on Saturday I can try again on Sunday.

One of the things that brought me joy when I came home is that another 3 flats of mairgolds are up and ready for transplanting. I should have started this a month or two earlier but I imagine everything will catch up.

The Zinnias I planted outdoors as seeds seem to be coming along OK so that leaves me smiling. I never grew zinnias before so we'll see. All I have ever planred was marigolds and petunias. I might buy a flat of petunias for the planter box out back as they are prety hardy and the Marigolds didn't take there too well last summer.

One more thing, the job that would have taken me out of internet range is not going to happen to me so unless something else comes along I ought to be able to keep this blog up at work.

Interruption: Some kid came to the door with some sort of petition and I politely explained that before I sign it I want to research it a little more. It's about clean water and the gas drilling that is starting up here.

While I certainly do not want the ground water polluted, I do not want to see an economic step up lost because of something dopey like an over zealous inforcement of pollution policy. Laugh all you want, but these days the petro-chem people generally do a pretty good job of either not making messes or cleaning up after themselves simply because it is good for business. They have come a long way.

I threw away my old deck shoes this morning because the damned things make my feet stink llike a cargo of rotten fish. I got a new pair.

This morning Bob and I went north of here because I heard there was a guy that sells used radio gear including ham transceivers. I saw something and asked the price. It was too high. I saw somethign else and asked the price. Again, too high. Then he asked me if was going to make a counter-offer and I replied, "No habla Espanol." and walked out.

It was in a small town and across the streeet was a hair cutting place. Bigger'n the day is long, it was $5 for men's haircuts day and the line was short, a guy on the chair just finishing up as I wandered in and I got a snip for five bucks. A pretty good job so I gave her a ten and still feel I came out ahead as it's about fifteen scoots a snip in my area.

The shop was a nice, clean airy and colorful place that was made into a nice shop using cheap amteriels and paint which confirms a lot of what I believe in; it doesn't take much. I like places like that.

I still ahven't figured out what I want to do with ham radio yet, if anything. I might just try and find a small entire station someone with big bucks outgrew. The 102e Chinese set or maybe an AN/GRC9 are not yet out of the running but if I go that route I am going to have to figure out how to build a power supply as I do not want th hand crank a generator every time I want to go on the air. It would be fun trying my hand with a dinky little primitive set. We'll see.

That's my first day back and in as I look over the screen I see that there is a pile of chips to be spread out that's left over from the tree top I cut up last time home.

That's all for today.

Pic, out.






my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment