Saturday, July 16, 2011

As I look out the window I see Bunny Rabbbit

who is eating grass from my lawn. He sure has grown fast. It seems ike just a day or so ago he was a baby and now he is a young adult wabbit.

I have my flowers to look at and the birds are flitting about. The garden sure looks good this year and I have the best flower garden on the street. Like with a lot of things I do it makes the neighbors wonder because of the paradox of me being a rough and tough Old School sailor that grows flowers and watches the deer and rabbits.

The garden is nothing less than drop dead gorgeous and the neat part about it is that I MIGHT have all of $20 in it and the flowers are FAR more healthy than the ones you buy in flats at nurseries and home improvement stores. Some of the stalks are well over a half-inch in diameter and that's pretty stout for a marigold.

I think today will be a Miata day as it looks like it will be sunny all day and I can use the vitaman D.

Last night 80 meters was pretty clear and I made a couple of quick contacts in New York and Michigan with the little manpack rig.

Monday the black set will arrive and I will be setting that up. It is an Icom IC-718 which is a respectable set, sort of like a good Toyota, with 100 watts of output, three times the power of the PRC 320.

My first love in this ham business will always be guerilla radio because I think it is pretty neat to take a slingshot and shoot monofiliment line over a tree and use it to drag an improvised antenna up a tree and then contact someone.

There is a spot along US 30 I am thinking of making a pilgrimage to to set up the masts from and see what I can do on 40 meters.

I am liiking out the window and there is the antenna running back into the way-back and it is hot pink. I specifically bought hot pink wire not because I like the color, which I do. I bought the color because I am wise enough to know that things like antennas drop after storms and that color is very visable and decreases the liklihood of getting hit by a lawn mower or tripped over. I rewired the counterpoise with red wire for the same reason. Red was chosen because I couldn't find orange or pink of the proper gauge.

The Rifleman is on in the background and for those younger readers it is an old early sixties Western rerun. The star, Chuck Conners, was a professional baseball and basketball player before he went into acting.

According to my clock there are eleven minutes left until Lucas (Conners) picks up his rifle and turns some evildoer into hamburger.

Yesterday I returned a clock I bought from Radio Shack because it would now display UTC (formerly GMT). It was set up for the 4 CONUS time zones and that was now what I bought it for. Too bad, it had a big display and i would have had it set for UTC, which you need in a hurry when you are running a ham station as all times are recorded in UTC. Off to the Dollar Store, I suppose as I'd bet they have one there pretty cheap.

I have to get some kind of bug spray as I have seen a couple of Japanese beetles in the zinnias eating away. An M-1 is too much rifle to do the job so I suppose there is some kind of spray or powder I can use to run them off.

It's 0900 so I guess I better start my day.








my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment