Friday, July 15, 2011

Well, last night I went and did it.

Guerrilla radio operations commenced last night at Wally World.

I tossed the PRC-320 into the back of the Miata and headed off to Wally World to start my little guerilla radio operation. The object of which is to get a solid QSO from off the wall locations around town using the set not as a home set, but as a combat rig which is what it was designed for. The rig is designed for quick communications in primitive conditions and I could not think of a more savage place than Wally World. The infighting that takes place there on Black Friday is without a doubt some of the most brutal fighting in the world.

Seasoned infantrymen are known to break down and cry when their wives send them out there and the Battle of the Christmas Furby dolls a few years back has left more than one store warrior with serious PTSD problems.

I whipped into the lot and instantly got out with a slingshot in hand and saw a likely looking light pole to hang an antenna from and let fly. A 3/4 ounce fishing sinker attached to monofiliment went whistling over the top of the pole without any problems or busted windshields which was a plus. The monofiliment was attached to a piece of 550 paracord which was attached to a 27.5 meter piece of ordinary wire to serve as a field expedient antenna.

A home brew counterpoise was quickly laid out and in under three minutes I was on the air on 40 meters.

I ambled through the 40 meter band and found a net that was going to start up in New York I and jumped in and took my place and waited. When I heard I was on deck I stood by and waited and then it became my turn.

I gave the obligatory weather synopsis and a description of my rig and location explaining that I was in the Wally World lot with my manpack rig, then I signed off and that was that.

The antenna came down, the counterpoise was folded up. As I was folding the counterpoise up a couple came by and asked me what I was up to and I simply told them, "Ham radio operator conducting an emergency drill."

They nodded and he asked me where I had made contact. When I told him I was talking to the Syracuse area he looked impressed. He told me they had watched the entire thing and was impressed with how fast I managed toset things up.

The Piccolo road show with the PRC 320 is officially underway.

Now I have to get a special set of QSL cards printed up for this little extravaganza.

We'll see.




my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment