Monday, July 18, 2011

Today is a day of working and waiting.

The little room below my porch was built too tight and holds in moisture which translates to mold.

Quick fix. I added a vent yesterday and I think I will add another one today along with a little 12 volt fan attached to a solar panel.

I do not think it will take a whole lot to dry this little nook out, just a little air being able to move about and that's about it.

Of course there is the "No! No! You're doing it all wrong!" crowd that will try and talk to me like I ama backward child and explain that I am supposed to have X number of feet of open vent per cubic foot of space and that I have my solar panel about a quarter degree off and how I can shine some special light on the panel at night to keep the fan running 24/7 and so on, but as usual I will ignore them.

They will tell me that I am supposed to have the air completely change in the little room 12.75834 times per hour and the vents should be 12.915 square feet for the little 5x7 room and that the fan should be 17 inches in diameter with a pitch of 3.14832 and turn 1404 rpm with a .03 hp motor and that my solar panel should be on a frame that changes daily with a special init that will both rotate and change pitch to follow the sun, with a computerized unit to adjust the frame to keep up with the daily changes of the sun's relationship to the earth.

Total cost? $347,942.63.

Yeah, right.

Two vent screens, Lowe's. $6.53. One auto part's store fan, $10.98, One solar panel, Piccolo's garage, $0.00 and we're off to the races.

Of course, the experts will moan, wail, gnash their teeth and cry out that I am doing it all wrong, but they have not taken the time to look at WHAT I am doing.

First of all, we are not talking about an operating room at West Allegheny General Hospital where a single mold spore can kill some poor guy getting a liver transplant.

We're talking about a simple little nook that is six sides of conctete and is used to store rakes, shovels, hoes and other implements of destruction. Occasiaonally after a big rain the floor gets a little damp and with nowhere for it to go the rainwater makes the place get a little musty.

All I need is a little air movement and I am good to go.

While I know that I will not eliminate 100% of the problem, I do know that I can eliminate about 99.9% of the problem and that's a whole lot better than nothing and the truth is that is certainly good enough for me.

The solar panel will be in an out of the way place and will run at least a couple of hours a day in the winter and a lot more than that in the summer and that's all the place needs is a little air movement. Hell, when you get right down to it, I don't really need the fan, but when I can get it powered by the sun, why not use it.

I already have the vent in above the door so I think that today I will put in the lower vent on the door.

See ya. I gotta get to work.



my other blog is: http://officerpiccolo.blogspot.com/ http://piccolosbutler.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment